When I first began stamping years ago Magenta stamps were some of the first I fell in love with when shopping at my local stamp store. Little did I know that they had other awesome products that work together with stamps! So today I want to share just a couple of images from the products we received into our store recently and a few experiments I did with them.
Magenta's cork is self-adhesive making it so easy to work with! The images are laser cut making the detail so very precise! I have placed both an Inchie Square and a Twinchie Square atop the cork on the right so that you can see the scale of these pieces AND help you to see some of the possibilitles. Can you imagine an image "spotlighted" with one of these squares?
We have flowers, birds, butterflies, buttons, borders, pennants, mosaics and single sheets available for you to select from!
As you can see the result is SO beautiful!
I began by stamping this western image from Tim's new collection on the cork using Archival Ink - I wanted to use an ink that would be resistant to watercolor products. It worked brilliantly.
Curiousity when I thought I had ruined the butterfly below led me to trying the "removal" process - I wondered if the color could be removed. I wet the area surroundng the image with my waterbrush and then used a paper towel to dab the surface. Oh how fun to see how the color could be altered!
I also tried Glimmer Mist. A mixture of blue and purple was sprayed on the surface and allowed to dry. The result was somewhat murky and so I thought I would try adding more color. I ever so carefully colored my image with Copic Markers (being certain to stay in the lines because Archival Ink and Copic markers haven't been the best of combinations for me) and then added Broken China Distress Stain around the edges. Oops - not so pretty - LOL! It was waaaaay too dark for my satisfaction.
So once again I altered the color using my waterbrush and a paper towel to blot color away.
The image on the left doesn't show the pretty sparkle that shimmers from the cork surface. I spritzed this image with Old Lace. The image on the right also shimmers - it is much prettier in person. Taking pictures of sparkle is SO hard!
I had to test the Faber Castell pens! I stamped the first image on the left using Archival Ink and started coloring with my Big Brush Pen. You can see the difference in the blossoms if you look closely. The blossom on the right of the image is the first one I colored. I felt it was too uniform in color and wanted more depth, so I colored my Big Brush on my non-stick craft sheet and then used a waterbrush to dilute the color and paint in the blossoms. Coming back in with the Big Brush pen while the surface was still damp created a beautiful result.
Next I colored my image with a dark green Big Brush pen and stamped it on the cork. Then watercolor the bloom using the diluted mixture from the craft sheet and darken it with the Big Brush pen.
Colorwash altered the color of the cork dramatically.
Unfortunately I picked an image that was far too delicate - oops. So I tried once again to see if I could change the coloration of the square. I misted it with water and then blotted. This also muted and softened the color.
Experimenting is part of the fun in learning about new products. I hope that my experiments help you to think outside the box when it comes to these cork products. I also hope that my oopsies help you to see what works well and what doesn't.
The other product that is new to me are the lazer cut chipboard pieces. Once again I placed a Twinchie and Inchie in the corner to allow you to envision the scale. These come in 12x12, 6x6 and individual image packets. The bird on the top left is the front side of the chipboard piece and the bird on the top right is the back side.
There are also some very cool photo holders. I popped out a couple of the butterflies in one to show you how you can place decorative paper, or photos behind the openings. You can then insert photos or tags into the little "prongs" that removing the butterflies results in. I look forward to creating a unique home decor item with this holder!
I didn't have a lot of time to experiment on the chipboard. I quickly stamped a background from Tim's new Reflections collection and grabbed my Distress Stain and wiped it across the surface. Gorgeous! Oh the possibilities - Studio Paint, Crackle, Copics, hmmm - what do you think I should try?
The last photo I wanted to share a comparison between the Magenta Chipboard and Art Parts. As you can see Art Parts are much thicker, but these two products seemed to take the Distress Stain in much the same manner. I think the combination of these two products is going to be magical - I can hardly wait to combine them in a project!
I hope this gives you a little insight into these fun new items. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to continue to experiment and post my results for you all to see.
Have a wonderful day! (or perhaps better said - evening/night) Thank you for stopping in here at the CLASSroom once again.
ink: Archival Jet Black, Memento Tuxedo Black, Faber Castell Big Brush, Distress Stain - Vintage Photo and Broken China, Color Wash, Copic Markers
accessories: Magenta Cork and Chipboard (scroll through this page to see all the options)